Thursday, October 20, 2005

Bookolepsy


Out of Chubbuck, Idaho comes news of a dog having been diagnosed with narcolepsy. The condition is caused by a disconnect between the normal sleep-wake cycle, and is triggered by excitement that causes the afflicted to go from being awake straight into a deep sleep.

What should be some of a dog's greatest joys in life have become Skeeter's worst nightmare. Food, a chance at chasing a squirrel, going for a walk, or even an opportunity to sniff another dog all have the same effect on the 11-pound toy poodle: he's out cold.

I have a variant of narcolepsy, called bookolepsy, and it is triggered when I attempt to read in bed. No sooner do I start to read, that my eyelids get heavy, and I'm out like a light.

3 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

That is so true. It doesn't matter if it's a magazine or doing a crossword puzzle. If I'm in bed, and it's nighttime, and I start to read something... snooze!
The colors on that dog would keep me awake though.

cube said...

LOL! Fellow bookoleptics unite! We'd have to hold our meetings during the day unless we brought the Crayola poodle along as a mascot.

KC said...

It doesn't matter how exciting the book or magazine is. If I read it in bed, I'm lucky to read for 20 minutes before it's lights out. Somehow it doesn't work that way if I read reclined on the sofa. Then I can read for hours.