Monday, March 28, 2016

Winning Is Good



I'm not a basketball fan. I'm 5'4, but I could always make a free throw when I had to, and if you're a basketball player, you'd better make those every single time.

But I am all for the UConn team being the best.

Geno Auriemma Says If You Don't Like UConn's Dominance, 'Don't watch'

When did winning become bad?

I remember playing board games and card games with my grandmother when I was little. I lost many games to her. I complained to her about why she didn't let me win sometimes.

She said, "You want to win?"

"Yes." I replied.

"Then you need to be better. That's how you win."

That was a life lesson for me.

I don't understand how we've gotten away from winning being a good thing.





10 Comments:

At March 28, 2016 11:58 AM, Blogger Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Everyone should NOT get a trophy!

 
At March 28, 2016 12:19 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Those participation trophies should be an embarrassment. I love his remark: The fact you have to comment on it? Says something about you, doesn't it?"

 
At March 28, 2016 12:26 PM, Blogger cube said...

Woodsterman (Odie): Absolutely. You play to win. If you don't win that day, then you play to win another day. That's how it works.

 
At March 28, 2016 12:37 PM, Blogger cube said...

Jan: Yes. Coach Auriemma said it well. I don't think he's got a winning team by coincidence.

 
At March 28, 2016 12:57 PM, Blogger LL said...

Winning is important. The humiliation of losing teaches children to strive for better. That is how it is in life in general, unless you're in a Bernie Sanders utopia and the government lavishes borrowed money on you while you do nothing.

 
At March 28, 2016 3:08 PM, Blogger cube said...

That's the lesson I learned when I was little.

 
At March 28, 2016 6:13 PM, Blogger Sandee said...

Your grandmother was very wise. That is how you win. You practice and get better.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

 
At March 28, 2016 9:37 PM, Blogger messymimi said...

My kids were lucky in that in some of those games, i was so bad they got to win most of the time anyway. They learned to try harder against each other. Nothing like a little sibling rivalry to get things going.

 
At March 29, 2016 11:07 AM, Blogger cube said...

Sandee: My grandmother was a great woman and she taught by example.

 
At March 29, 2016 11:09 AM, Blogger cube said...

Messymimi: My mom stopped playing any games that involved strategy when I was eight. We did continue to do jigsaw puzzles together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






















C-List Blogger




Who links to my website?

I adopted a virtual Squillion from the Cat Blogosphere!


Pop Culture Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory





Most Accurate Clock Ever This is the most accurate clock ever and it looks good too.


Blog Directory - Blogged

I'm # 409 Get listed at www.millionbloglist.com