Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Digital Interference



Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have completed a prototype device that can block digital-camera function in a given area. Commercial versions of the technology could be used to stymie espionage photography or video copying.

Read about it here , but basically it works by flashing a thin beam of visible white light directly at the camera's image sensor and overwhelming the target camera with light and rendering recorded video unusable.

Cool.

6 comments:

birdwoman said...

every time I develop my film ($$) I think I should buy a digital camera. And then I see how much the buggers cost.

It is interesting to watch folks take pictures of books in the bookstore where I used to work. I used to find it hysterical when they'd ask where the photocopier was. Nice.


(*)>

Brooke said...

Sweet! I'll bet that'll be very, very useful.

Now... I'd like a cell phone blocker in every theatre!

Topwomen said...

take that movie theatre movie pirates.

cube said...

birdwoman: I have both & I have to say I prefer my digital camera. We were spending a fortune developing mediocre pictures. With the digital, you only process the photos you want which makes the process less costly & the photos are outstanding when you're done cropping & editing them on the computer.

brooke: they're working on that too.

rgmb: how long before they learn to block the blocker?

Topwomen said...

cube that is the problem. The crooks are always one step ahead of those guarding the bank.

Michele said...

Cube i thought i had a new
profession,oh well back to
the drawing board.