Thursday, October 08, 2009

Only In Tampa



This is very sad...

Justice in Tampa Florida (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of an Hillsborough County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible..

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Football Team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

14 comments:

Ananda girl said...

Okay. We all know that I am so gullible, so I have to ask Cube... is this real?

If so, I applaud the judge. Better a whole football team than a family like that. In fact, it is one of the things that frustrates me in regard to child abuse, that so often we give children back to abusers repeatedly or to other abusive family members. Where is the protection?

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! You had me the whole time. Excellent!

Jan said...

I got sucked into it too. Good one. I can't wait to tell this one.

Chuck said...

I read this to my wife, she was quite concerned about the kid until...

Nice one

cube said...

Ananda Girl: It's a joke. The Bucs are 0-4 and, unless a team on our schedule totally falls apart, we may repeat the Lions 0-16 season.

E.Peevie: I'll pass that compliment on to my father-in-law. He was the one who passed it on to us via email.

Jan: Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny when I first read it too which was why I passed it on.

Chuck: Heh heh. Thanks.

nanc said...

HOLY CRAPPE! i was about to shed nanc-tears! do you have any idea how much THAT HAPPENS?!?!?

no.

you.

do.

not.

i'm off to reassess our blogship.

*;[

*:]

okay, i feel much better now.

Z said...

that is HILARIOUS!

cube said...

Nanc: Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Who's the sissy now?

nanc said...

okay - the sissy wars are on!

this just for you - i arranged for obama to win the NOBEL this year. yeah. check drudge.

Unknown said...

Zing. I feel a gotcha

Brooke said...

Bwaahaaahaaa! That's a good one!

cube said...

Nanc: I concede. You will win the sissy wars.

Jill: Don't feel bad. Many have been stung by this joke.

Brooke: Yeah, I thought so too when I first read it.

Bramblemoon Farm said...

Chuck is such a putz! He read this to me and I was so enraged and then he got to the end. Geesh:)

cube said...

Brenda Jean: Don't feel bad. It got a lot of people.

BTW the Bucs lost again on Sunday. We're now 0-5 for the season, 0-9 if you count the preseason.