Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Dignitary Dog

Did you see a German Shepherd sitting in the stands at the State of the Union? No, it wasn't my dog Dax, although it sure looked like her.

It was Rex, a 5-year-old bomb-sniffing German shepherd and hardened combat veteran from Peterson Air Force Base at Colorado Springs, who got a seat of honor at the President's speech with his handler, Air Force Technical Sgt. Jamie Dana, both guests of First Lady Laura Bush.

From the Denver Post: "Rex was with Dana in Iraq last June when the vehicle they were riding in was hit by a roadside bomb and she was wounded. Congress had to step in last year to let Rex retire with Dana."

Awww...a woman and her dog. Both heroes. Good story.

The really amazing thing was that Rex was better behaved during the speech than many of the Democrats in the audience. Go figure.

7 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

I saw that dog and was wondering what the story was behind it being there. I just assumed it was a dog for the blind. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Hillary's smirk and her inability to laugh when Bush said "two of my dad's favorite people, Me & President Clinton," showed the country what a shrew she really is.

Topwomen said...

as a dog owner and a past German Shephard Dog owner, great post! I think a shephard will be my next dog again, they're amazing.

cube said...

I'm a sucker for all kinds of animals, but there is a special place in my heart for German Shepherds.

As far as the PIAPS goes, I think her lack of grace came shining through last night. Didn't someone say she was chewing gum, too?

Minka said...

I might be partial, but I always feel that a Geramn Shephard is one of the most beautiful dogs there are. Indulge me in this belief...and no offense to any other dog!

Darrell said...

The really amazing thing was that Rex was better behaved during the speech than many of the Democrats in the audience. Go figure.

Yeah, imagine that. Then again, Rex probably doesn't bite the hand that feeds him, either.

I'd missed this story. Thanks for the post.

Sar said...

Well they had to do something to stay awake - these things get downright monotonous. Did you see Spector doing his I'm sort of dozing, but I'll fain clapping since my hands aren't really touching bit?

Beautiful dog as I'm sure yours is as well, Cube.

James said...

Awesome story! Thanks for publicizing this a little more.

James @ Right Face!