Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Manatee Guests



A woman in St. Petersburg, Florida got some unexpected guests in her back yard...

Thanks, Colin! St. Petersburg Woman Finds Manatees Munching In Her Back Yard

Manatees average 13 feet in length and weigh about 1300 pounds.

Gotta love it!

I got a million potential frogs in my back yard, yes, but personally, my funniest experience was when one white egret and one blue-gray heron both refused to move when I was trying to pull out of my drive way. I wasn't in a hurry, so I gave them their time. Hey, anytime you come to my yard and eat all the bugs you can, I'm going to be a very hospitable host.

I didn't get any manatees :(


15 comments:

LL said...

The manatee must have paddled/floated up a canal or something?

cube said...

LL: The water was so high that it came over the sea wall.

Jan said...

You don't need zoos in Florida. You have yards and driveways. :-)

cube said...

Jan: And we love it! Well, I have a degree in biology and I relish the diversity of life in my area, but I don't know that I speak for everyone. My husband ran into a large water moccasin at the golf course last week. He's not thrilled about the wild life in the area.

pictionary said...

fantastic picture :)

messymimi said...

Manatees are amazing in their habitat, but i'm not sure i want them in the yard.

Granny Annie said...

Now that would be a sight to behold. Yikes:-)

cube said...

pictionary: Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

cube said...

Messymimi: The smart part of my brain agrees with you, but there's this little devil in my head that would just love having a manatee her yard ;)

cube said...

Granny Annie: Hell, yes! Imagine that. Mostly in Florida.

Kid said...

That's neat. Manatee's are geniuses. Probably aliens too.

cube said...

Kid: Geniuses? Water-bearing worlds, except maybe Mars millions of years ago, are non-existent in our planetary system. If manatees had interstellar techonology, I wish they would share. I don't think manatees are intelluctually-gifted. I think they're large, semi-intelligent mammals trying to survive with a world full of other semi-intelligent mammals ;)

Kid said...

I never trust the quiet ones.

cube said...

Kid: Lol. Like the loud mouthed are any more trustworthy?

Anonymous said...

Great blog post! Thank you for sharing this.
sbobet mobile
Holiday Palace
m8bet