Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Great Pumpkin

Nothing personifies autumn for me as much as pumpkins. This giant prize-winning pumpkin, weighs in at a record 1,229 pounds, and measures 3 feet, 9 inches high. Strangely enough, Joel Holland, the grower of this great pumpkin, has won the Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh Off competition 5 years in a row. He won last year with a pumpkin that weighed exactly the same amount. Weird stuff.

Alas, an even larger pumpkin took top honors at the 12th annual Rhode Island Southern New England Giant Pumpkin Growers Championship with a giant pumpkin weighing in at 1,443 pounds, just under the world record of a 1,446 pounds out of Ontario, Canada.

Fall is in the air...even if in Florida, it still feels like summer.

8 comments:

cube said...

I'd just like to point out that I could've made a gratuitous Michael Moore fat joke on this post, but I refrained.

Sam Iam said...

Now thats what I call a great Pumpkin Charley Brown ..Sam I am

tlm said...

Wow. Is that kid stuck to the pumpkin?

(Nice use of restraint there, cube. There will be many more opportunities to skewer Michael Moore, I'm sure.)

Jessica said...

Maybe this Joel Holland, if that is his REAL name, just froze the pumpkin from last year and brought it back out to win again this year!
Mmmhmmm.

Jamie Dawn said...

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater's wife could live in that thing!

Jen said...

That is a huge pumpkin!

Do they check them for steroids?

Anonymous said...

Jen beat me to it! Think of the many pies you could make with this sucker!

I can't wait for Hallween!

cube said...

sammy: yes, I thought of Linus right away myself.

the other stevie: I can't wait to have the Firefly characters fleshed out.

tlm: That is no kid. It's an adult basketball player who's trying to push the pumpkin. And yes, blogging is helping me grow as a person.

jessey: LOL! You have a devious brain.

jd: I hadn't thought of that fairy tale in a looooong time.

jen: isn't Miracle Grow plant steroids? I would be more concerned by the nuclear plant next door to Mr. Holland's garden. Yikes!

LGOE: the article said it would make about 600 pies! Hopefully non-radioactive ones.